If I tell you that snow days are one of my favorite things in the entire world, you might:
A) Think that I’m crazy (if you’re from an area where snow days are frequent)
(B) Go into a Hulk-like rage and want to smash me through your computer for daring to speak such terrible things into the world (if you live in an area where it snows so much you get to play “Where’s Waldo?” with your car)
Or C) Nod in agreement and send a wish or two towards the heavens for a snow day right this very moment (if you’re from say, Texas, like me, where snow days are few and far-between and as such highly revered and anticipated).
*Today’s post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through an affiliate link, I may receive a small commission. You can read my full disclosure here. I hope you all know by now that I do only share things I really truly love!
The Ultimate “Snow Day Survival Kit” Christmas Gift Guide
Love them, hate them, or view them as annoying disruptions to everyday life, I think we can ALL agree that there’s nothing better on a cold, winter day than curling up with a good book and something warm.
Snow days (real or imaginary) are the perfect excuse to get cozy and enjoy a little fireside/couchside pampering.
So that’s where the idea for this Christmas gift guide originated! I thought – wouldn’t it be fantastic to give someone everything they need to enjoy the perfect snow day?
Each themed trio (8 collections total!) is my recipe for the ultimate “slouch on the couch day” (comfy pajamas encouraged) and starts off with the foundation of a good read followed by two corresponding ways to treat yo self…
(Whether “yo self” is yourself or a friend – this is a judgment-free zone!)
I had an absolute blast pulling these guides together and I hope you enjoy perusing them… This isn’t your average gift guide!
I figure there are so many places you can find “gift guides for sisters”, “gift guides for fashionistas”, “gift guides for INFJ’s” (okay, I may have made that last one up), so rather than trying to be too generic or theme-y, I decided to write what I know and consult my own tastes…
I only included items I love and would be thrilled to receive or give and/or actually own and recommend – which means there’s a strong undertone of quirk and humor throughout.
(And bonus: Bryan can consult this at any time if gift ideas are needed!)
My hope is that you’ll perhaps garner a few ideas, get a good laugh or two, and use these as a spring-board for your own “snow day survival kit” gift combinations!
Style & Sparkle:
· Styled by Emily Henderson // I pre-ordered this book by one of my favorite bloggers, the fabulous Emily Henderson, with great expectations, and was not disappointed when it arrived! Not five minutes after the box was dropped off at my door, I was taking her Home Style Quiz and blown away by how on-point the results were – yep, full on “Modern Glam” over here!
I love Emily’s voice on her blog, and it makes this book so much more than just a decorating idea book – although the visuals are just the best eye-candy imaginable as well.
· Glittered Champagne Bottle // What better accompaniment to Emily’s sparkling wit than a glittery bottle of bubbly champagne (or non-alcoholic cider)? No need to purchase an already-glittery bottle (although you can through the Amazon link) – it’s also a perfectly easy DIY project!
· Press for Champagne Button // This “Press for Champagne” button from Lisa Golightly on Etsy (amazing shop tagline: vintage finds real and imagined) has been on my wishlist for quite some time now. I will own this and display it prominently one day!
· Gnomes by Wil Huygen & Rien Poortvliet// I found my copy of “Gnomes” at (where else) the thrift store one day a few years ago and I have been obsessed ever since. This nature-guide parody contains everything you’d ever want to know about gnomes – their dietary habits, dwelling places, history – as well as the most adorable artwork by Dutch painter Rien Poortvliet.
Did you know that the life-span of a gnome is around 400 years? That gnomes tile the roofs of their buildings with pine cone scales? That a favorite gnome pastime is cuddling and bottle-feeding orphaned baby rabbits?
An unexpected and captivating coffee table book!
· Amanita Mushroom Mug // My jaw literally dropped when I spotted this gorgeous hand-made mug from shop VandaValerie on Etsy. And then I wanted one of everything crafted by this talented artisan! But the little mushroom cap on this one just might be my favorite… Obviously it’s essential to the enjoyment of gnome-watching!
· Moonstruck Dark Hot Cocoa // And I’m pretty sure hot cocoa is a gnome’s winter beverage of choice (don’t quote me on that… I should really consult my copy of Gnomes before making such broad generalizations). I’m such a sucker for pretty packaging that I’ll admit I would try this hot cocoa mix for the tin alone!
Whimsy & Tea:
· Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess by Janet Hill // This book from one of my favorite artists (remember my Artist Spotlight: Janet Hill post?) is on my wishlist!
It’s a compilation of Janet’s whimsically enchanting series of “Miss Moon” paintings, where dog-governess Miss Moon teaches important life lessons to an adorable collection of pups.
You can catch up on the series on Janet’s blog but be warned – it’s incredibly easy to get sucked in and browse for hours – her accompanying prose is equally as delightful as her artwork!
· Fox Run Dogs Cookie Cutter Set // For this gift collection, I envisioned a little gift box of dog-shaped cookies and this cookie cutter set on Amazon was the perfect match! Of course they look incredible (too pretty to eat!) frosted, but I’m also loving the idea of a more simple chocolate-dipped shortbread version too.
· Vintage Rose Porcelain Tea Cup & Saucer Set // This sweetly-floral tea cup was just begging to be included. You can find this particular one on Amazon, but you know me – I love thrifting, so I would probably hit up a few local thrift stores in search of the perfect vintage tea cup and saucer set!
A Shot of Humor:
· The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz // Light-hearted yet darkly humorous, The Spellman Files follows Isabel Spellman’s misadventures in the family business – private investigating. I was hooked from the opening scene (which you can preview here on Amazon). Izzy’s chaotic narration style and ever-so-slightly-neurotic footnotes keep this read fast-paced and hilarious.
Disfunctional family dynamics worthy of Arrested Development and sassy and confident commentary a la Veronica Mars (the highset praise I can offer) made this an instant favorite that I re-read on the reg!
· Vintage Lowball Rocks Glasses // Isabel Spellman can knock one back with the best of them (preferably at her favorite dive-bar, and therapy-stand-in, the Philosopher’s Club). I adore these non-discriminatory, all-alcohols-embraced lowball glasses from SandHollowVintage on Etsy. (Sadly, no longer available, but you can browse tons of gorgeous vintage rocks glasses here) All liquor welcome. Or pull a Rae (Izzy’s underage sister) and slam shots of ginger ale.
· Fig Old-Fashioned via Claire Brody Designs // If you’re looking for the perfect cocktail recipe to get you in that detective-noir mood, let me recommend this swanky bourbon-based recipe from my friend Claire. Ice balls optional, but oh-so-classy!
Cuddle up with a Classic:
· The Puffin In Bloom Collection // You might remember that I have quite a thing for beautiful books. This special collection of classics with beautiful covers illustrated by Anna Bond of Rifle Paper Co. would be a treasured gift for any fellow literature-lover!
In this same vein, I think tracking down a beautiful antique edition of someone’s favorite classic book would also be a wonderful gift idea – my 1880 copy of Little Women is one of my prized possessions! Etsy is a great place to check for beautiful vintage books.
· Threshhold Faux Fur Throw // I first spotted this throw in my friend Brit’s stunning Master Bedroom Makeover and just knew I had to have it! (Dear
Bryan Santa… Please.) I am majorly addicted to silky plush throw blankets – I have one wrapped around my legs at all times in the winter whenever I’m blogging on the couch!
· Capri Blue Volcano Candle // My ultimate treat yo self item. There’s nothing like a gorgeous candle burning for a feeling of luxury! I always beg for these for Christmas/birthdays!
· Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson // I’ll admit, I haven’t gotten my hands on The Bloggess’s latest masterpiece, but I am dying to. I’m a huge fan of her first book, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, and a devout follower of her deliciously irreverent and at times dark brand of humor.
But don’t let the wild hilarity fool you – Jenny deals with topics like crippling depression, anxiety, and mental illness in a strikingly truthful and fearless way. Her writings are celebrations of the weird and the wonderful; the good, the bad, and the bizarre. And they make you feel just a little bit more okay about your own special brand of brokenness.
· Nope mug by Gemma Correll // Thanks to my marvelous sister, I own this mug and it’s my absolute favorite. I get an irrationally happy rush whenever it’s the one I pull out of the cabinet (or dishwasher…) in the morning. Sometimes you just can’t even. This a mug for those times.
· Perfect Hot-Buttered Rum Mix via The Wanderlust Kitchen // If you give a friend a mug… You’re going to want to include a delicious treat! I get a particular kick out of the idea of pairing my favorite “Nope.” mug with a jar of homemade Hot-Buttered Rum mix and, of course, a bottle of dark spiced rum… A certain cure for every case of the Mondays!
Because (nerd alert, Supernatural fans only) the line, “Sometimes Sam and Dean do not make new friends” struck me as the most adorably delicious understatement of all time, so I just had to get my hands on my own copy.
I justified it by bundling in a gift for my friend (who is actually a mom). And now her kids will learn the alphabet Star Trek style (T is for Tribble) and their Hogwarts’ House colors (as well as the correct pronunciation of leviosa). But let’s be honest – parents will enjoy these books even more!
· “World’s Okayest Mom” Mug // I actually spotted this mug on the Facebook page of this same friend and thought it was the most hilarious gift ever! Obviously designed with a specific sense of humor in mind, but I love the celebration of okay-ness. “Best” is overrated.
· Dark Chocolate Almond Bark Thins // These are a personal favorite snack, so I could really have paired them with any gift guide combination so far! Who doesn’t love chocolate, right?! Add in some almonds and sea salt and it’s pretty much manna from heaven. We buy these at our local Costco, but I’ve linked them on Amazon in case you can’t find them near you.
· Fallout 4 // What?! That’s not a book, Brynne! Okay, okay, I’ll admit – video games aren’t books. But they are wonderfully immersive and relaxing activities, practically invented with snow days in mind.
Over Christmas break, Bryan and I have a long-standing tradition of stocking up on our favorite holiday beers and camping out on the couch with a new game, taking turns playing and decision-making. Lately, we are really enjoying Telltale Games’ Tales from The Borderlands, but we have our eye on the recently released and long-awaited Fallout 4 for this holiday break.
· Cinnamon Almonds // So there’s actually a trick to good gaming snacks… They actually need to be easy to grab and mess-free, so a bowlful of a wonderful holiday treat like cinnamon almonds are absolutely perfect! You can conveniently order them on Amazon or search Pinterest for tons of recipes to make your own.
· Custom Engraved Pint Glass // I really tried not to tip this gift collection too heavily into the “guys only” category. Obviously, girls like beer too! So whoever the beer-lover is in your life, I think this classy monogram pint glass from KustomProducts on Etsy is a great gift idea.
One of the best gifts I ever gave Bryan was a pair of Legend of Zelda etched pint glasses I found on Etsy plus a few special new beers. You can find almost any design or theme – just type “[x] pint glass” into the Etsy search bar.
Oh my gosh. What a post!
Did you have fun? I had fun.
Kudos for making it all the way through! I hope you got some good gifting inspiration, maybe found a few items for your wishlist, and definitely enjoyed a chuckle or two…
Let’s hear it – what’s in your ultimate “Snow Day Survival Kit”?
Pin it if you love it!