I am writing a post today, because if I don’t post something soon, I never will, and this blog will join the ranks of the many projects I’ve started and then abandoned, including but not limited to: countless opening chapters of novels (mostly fantasy), a little barrel chair that is 98% reupholstered, a scrapbook of our engagement pictures (never got to the actual wedding photos), a quilt I started sewing approximately 7 years ago (when my family first began the years-long process of adopting from China, and now Lydia is 5), and several other failed blogs.
At the moment, my “Gathered Home” is mostly packed away in boxes. For the next eight months, my furniture, housewares, vintage collections, and craft supplies will reside in a storage unit as Bryan and I are stripping our lifestyle down to the basics and staying with his family.
Here are the bullet points:
– Being sexually harassed and feeling unsafe in your own home sucks.
– Our neighbors and their loitering and leering friends were making my life miserable and I was scared to come home alone. I would finish work an hour or two earlier than Bryan and then go wait at Whole Foods or another business so we could come home at the same time and I wouldn’t have to walk from the car to the door by myself.
– We gave 60 days’ notice on our lease and are paying to break it. Although we are not living there, we are using the 60 days to pack gradually on the weekends.
– Bryan’s family graciously welcomed us into their spare bedroom, and we are staying here so Bryan can focus on his UNT classical guitar audition until we move to Denton in May.
– I think this is going to be a really great thing for our marriage, our relationship with family, and our sanity. I am so thankful.
– I’ve abandoned my Craigslist business, besides trying to sell a few remaining items. I was burned out on dealing with people and going to strangers’ homes and letting them into my home (I have had no real bad experiences with Craigslist, but the harassing neighbors made me
completely paranoid cautious of anyone and everyone).
So that’s that. It’s been a crazy month. I stopped writing blog posts because I’m not really sure how to keep writing “Gathered Home” without the home or the gathering. But, I want to keep posting “Gather This”, maybe some decor inspiration or mood boards, and possibly my random thoughts… I’m not entirely sure.
If you like this post, please consider subscribing to The Gathered Home RSS feed, pinning on Pinterest, or liking The Gathered Home Facebook page!